Built on the beach in 1929, Asbury Park’s Convention Hall is a monument to summer fun and to New Jersey's culture. Adorned by colorfully glazed sea creatures and ornamental copper sailing ships, this structure of terra cotta, brick and copper is a federal landmark. It was designed by the firm of Warren and Wetmore, architects of Grand Central Station in Manhattan. Restoration began after years of neglect in a harsh oceanfront environment. As water breeched its masonry, moisture became trapped behind a glazed ceramic facade; creating organic growth, glaze spalls and shattered terra-cotta.
Beneath the building's skin, salt water accelerated the deterioration of skeletal steel. Expansion cracked multiple terra cotta units while undermining the building's structure. Steel supports for ornamental copper also lost integrity, leading to failure of the landmark's defining copper ornamentation.
Landmark Studios worked closely with the building's owner and engineer, and were responsible for probing, surveying and developing a Restoration Plan designed to U.S Department of the Interior standards - then submitting it to and working with New Jersey’s State Historic Preservation Office on its implementation. Landmark Studios' execution of restoration work included terra-cotta removal, creation and installation of identical replacement units in GFRC, masonry shoring and stabilization, doweling, pinning and grouting, removal of paint and atmospheric dirt, pointing, repairs to glaze and body spalls, replication and replacement of copper and terra-cotta sculptural ornament
On this page are “before and after” and process photos.
Detail of Acade's terra cotta releif
Carousel's Medusa prior to patina and after installation